If there’s one thing that every American wants, it’s to have great health care coverage at an affordable price. Unfortunately, that’s not the reality for far too many people. Even if you are covered under a company’s health insurance, there’s a chance that it may not provide all of the services that you need, or it may be just too expensive.
Yes, there are inexpensive health insurance plans out there, but finding them, and moreover, qualifying for them, can be tricky. Also, you want to be sure that the coverage you have isn’t too skimpy and that it will actually cover all of your needs.
So, how can you go about finding good brooklyn homeowners insurance rate at a price that you can afford? Here are some tips to help guide you.
Do Some Shopping
There are several health insurance providers to choose from. The state exchanges that have been set up via the Affordable Care Act may be convenient, but they aren’t your only options for locating affordable health insurance. You’ve got nothing to lose except for time and money, so why not take your time and research all of the options that are available to you.
An important note: it is against the law for different providers to charge different prices for the same health plans. Keep that in mind while you are shopping.
What options are there? Here’s a look:
- Purchase directly from an insurance company. Most companies will allow you to compare the details of different plans and apply right online. But, you won’t have the ability to see what options are available from different providers. If saving money is your goal, this may not be the best option unless you know what company you would like to work with.
- Consider buying through an agent. This may be a good option if you find that you are overwhelmed by all of the choices and want some insight and direction. An agent will also be able to compare more options for you, including different prices.
- Use an online health insurance locator. These sites are similar to agents in that you can compare different options. They’re also extremely convenient, as you can shop online and wherever and whenever you would like to.
Find Out if You Qualify for Special Programs
There are several programs available that offer low-cost insurance that is subsidized by the federal government. These programs include Medicaid, Medicare and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP.) You do have to qualify for these programs, though.
- Medicare – for those who over the age of 65
- Medicaid – for individuals with low incomes
- CHIP – for children who do not qualify for Medicaid, but cannot afford insurance. Sometimes, this will cover families, too.
To find out if you’re eligible, apply for these plans via the health insurance exchange offered by your state.
Consider a Catastrophic Plan
If you don’t foresee using your health insurance often, a plan that has a high deductible and a lower monthly premium, or a catastrophic plan, could help you save a significant amount of money. As per the Affordable Care Act, if you are under the age of 30 and qualify for a hardship exemption, such as bankruptcy or a serious financial circumstance, you are eligible for this type of plan.
With a catastrophic plan, you will be entitled to visit a primary care physician three times a year, as well as prescription drug coverage, and other benefits that are deemed necessary. But, there is a caveat: you will have to pay out of your own pocket outside of the established parameters until you meet the deductible, which is rather high.
Short-Term Plans May Be an Option but Beware
Typically, the most cost-effective health insurance option is a short-term plan. However, before you consider a short-term plan, it’s important that you are aware of the downsides associated with these types of policies.
The protections offered by the Affordable Care Act do not apply to short-term plans. So, if you have a pre-existing condition, you may not receive coverage. Also, if you become gravely ill, renewing your plan might not be an option. Also, the coverage these plans provide is minimal, at best. They usually don’t cover preventative care, such as physicals and immunizations. If you are going through health problems you should definitely consider a primary daycare center.
If saving money on brooklyn apartment insurance is something that’s important to you, we’ll help you find the best coverage possible at a price that you can afford. To learn more about your options, get in touch with us today!